THE WAY OF FRANCESCO – NORTHERN WAY
The way of Francesco is a very suggestive naturalistic and spiritual itinerary that crosses Umbria, touching the most beautiful cities of the region, but above all the most important and significant Franciscan places. To live the way of Francis we propose two holiday opportunities, always with a final destination Assisi: the Via del Nord and the Via del Sud. The Via del Nord starts from the sanctuary of La Verna, in Tuscany, then cross Sansepolcro, enter Umbria and go through Città di Castello, Pietralunga and Gubbio before reaching the Sacro Convento di Assisi. A wild and challenging itinerary, which will make you discover little known places and roads, but that requires a good level of training to overcome some difficult climbs.
The itinerary starts in Tuscany, from the Sanctuary of La Verna, and enters in Umbria after passing Sansepolcro. It traces the path of Francis on foot for many kilometers, touching villages and Franciscan places of great beauty, such as Citerna, Città di Castello, Pieve de Saddi, Pietralunga, Gubbio, before reaching Assisi. The route is mostly developed on secondary roads, with very little traffic, to which are added some sections of bike path and short stretches of well-kept dirt road, therefore ideal to be faced with hybrid bikes. If you want, with one more day of travel, you can also enter the variant with passage to Perugia. The route follows in the footsteps of Francesco and is rather challenging. The planned stages, in fact, are not long, but almost every day you will have to face at least one or two climbs, even demanding. The advice, therefore, is to be prepared and with a good level of fitness to avoid finding yourself in difficulty during the holiday. The suggestions, the charm and the beauty of the touched places will repay you for the effort done, we are sure of it.
RouteLa Verna-Sansepolcro-Citerna-Città di Castello-Pietralunga-Gubbio-Valfabbrica-Assisi
Total kilometers170 km
Elevation gain2700 m
Road surface80% asphalt – 20% dirt
IncludedTHE WAY OF FRANCESCO – NORTHERN WAY
Day 1 - Assisi - Santuary La Verna - Sansepolcro (35 km)
Day 2 – Sansepolcro-Città di Castello (30 km)
Day 3 – Città di Castello-Pietralunga (30 km)
Day 4 – Pietralunga-Gubbio (24 km)
Day 5 – Gubbio-Valfabbrica (33 km)
Day 6 – Valfabbrica-Assisi (22 km)
Experiences to enrich the program
- Assisi: entrance to the FAI San Francesco Wood, entrance to the Bartali Museum, visit to Roman Assisi
- Città di Castello: visit to the Burri Foundation, entrance to the Grifani Donati Typography
- Once your booking is complete, you will receive vouchers for hotels and other booked services via email.
- If you buy, always via email, you will be provided with the gps tracks of the tour, the road books and the list of hotels.
- Upon your arrival at the hotel you will find the Umbria & Bike welcome kit consisting of an Umbria & Bike bottle and tourist material about Umbria.
- In case you have also booked the bike rental, you will find them ready at the hotel upon your arrival.
From € 455.00 per person in a double roomThe price per person in a double room includes:
- 5 nights in facilities along the route
- Half board treatment (drinks not included)
- Tour with the Gubbio Express to Gubbio
- Transfer by private van from Assisi to La Verna
- Umbria & Bike Pilgrim's Credential Kit
- Extras and tips
- Extra night in Assisi
- Gpx tracks or detailed road map
- Luggage transport
- Bicycle rental
- Suggested experiences
- Optional insurance to be requested when booking
- City tax where applicable
- Means of transport
- Anything not expressly indicated under "the fee includes"